Forums

Topic: Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door!!!!!!!

Posts 181 to 200 of 250

PikminMarioKirby

@Jhena Oh cool! I think Yoshi is my favorite of the three but I would love any of them! Mario is great, that’ll be really cool to have!

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PikminMarioKirby

@Jhena Thank you so much, however I am getting it digitally so no pre-order bonus for me. a little sad but I prefer digital so it’s fine

It’d be great if they had pre-order bonus switch profile icons or something, that’d be really cool!

PikminMarioKirby

Hey what happened to TTYD on Amazon US? It has been unavailable since sometime in March, somewhat over a month ago. I already pre ordered through eShop, but this does effect a lot of people who were wanting to get the game through Amazon, now they have to go to other stores or just hope it comes back. This happened after it was topping the sales chart for Switch

Recently, they removed the cover of the game with gray? They also seemed to have kept where the game’s photos go, but got rid of the pictures themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mario-Thousand-Year-Door-Nintend...

N00BiSH

I'm probably going to regret even engaging with a question like this, but what's everyone's consensus on the new music? I'm really loving it so far, particularly the new Rogueport theme. There's been some argruments over whether or not the music team went TOO hard on the rearrangements, and to an extent, I get it, you do lose something in the new instrumentation, but I also don't mind because the new arrangements are still...good. And given that there's a 1-coin badge to switch to the old music, it's pretty much just that two cakes picture. Even if they have their own strengths and weaknesses, they're still both great in their own ways.

Edited on by N00BiSH

I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle

DanijoEX-the-Pierrot

@N00BiSH Can't say really for TYD. Much like SMRPG, I didn't get the chance to play this game originally back then due to bad luck.

This is opposite when compared with Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga for GBA & 3DS remake. Since I've played both versions, I loved both. But the GBA original is still king. As for Bowser's Inside Story, not much difference really as both do sound nice, though the remake does sound "cleaner", I guess.

But during my play-through of Mario RPG (Re-make), I grew to love both soundtracks. I'm doing same for TYD when I do buy it at some point. I do wonder if TYD really needs a new soundtrack, as the GC version was pretty high standard.

I sell my famous Chesapeake Tupperware.
I ACCEPT NO DEBIT CARDS!
DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Twitter:

PikminMarioKirby

@N00BiSH I'm a HUGE fan of the new soundtrack as well! The new battle themes in particular are what I'm looking forward to a lot. One of my most anticipated parts of the game is hearing all the new versions of the tracks. I'm also glad that it'll give the option for both OSTs because I want to hear both!

Edited on by PikminMarioKirby

PikminMarioKirby

I still can't believe TTYD is getting a remake. After all these years they're finally returning to roots! Paper Mario hasn't been the same for nearly 20 years, and I'm so glad this game is coming back.

And it could've just been a simple port. People would've bought it. It would make the OG Paper Mario fans happy, while they didn't really have to work on it. But no. They went all out, and it seemingly took as long to make as a brand new game in the franchise. They didn't just bring it back though, they went further and added so many completely new songs/themes, character expressions and back sprites, along with new voice sounds for when the characters talk. They added a concept art gallery, new NPCs, and a way to listen to the game's music. Maybe even stuff we don't even know yet.

This feels like more than just a little nod to OG Paper Mario fans. This feels more like them actually making a game how we've been asking the past 15 or so years.

It's still unbelievable to me. TTYD is a very special game. We never thought it would return, but here we are. I absolutely love the original and can't wait to play even more with the Remake! Hearing the new versions of the tracks, seeing the gallery of concept art, and simply playing through this game again is going to make me very happy.

If you haven't played the original, don't miss out on your chance to play it on Switch. Even if you have played the original, it's worth returning to for the remake (I fall under this side of things). It is legendary. If I could recommend just one game out of all of the Switch's library, it would be this game, TTYD.

Novamii

@PikminMarioKirby I'm looking forward to it! I had a great time with OG Paper Mario a couple weeks back, and while I certainly have my criticisms of it (Namely a relatively unexciting story and lack of partner screentime.) I had an absolute blast! I'm glad I decided to take the plunge and see why people love it, a solid 8/10. I've only seen a handful of footage of TTYD over the years, but from what I've seen and heard, if Paper Mario is an 8/10, TTYD sounds like it's near a full 10! (Barring some general criticisms of backtracking and such, but no game is perfect.) Easily my most anticipated game of the year, looking forward to finally experiencing what many consider to be the quintessential Nintendo RPG!

Edited on by Novamii

Idealism and realism are only a few letters apart, it's a fine line between the two. One must be careful not
to step too far on one end, as it could very easily throw the other off balance.

My Current Games: (Taking a break and leaving my gamer dungeon before TTYD.)

PikminMarioKirby

@Novamii That's so exciting that you get to experience TTYD for the first time, it is a legendary experience.
I personally think TTYD has a better story over PM64. Also I think TTYD's partners are a lot more fleshed out than PM64's.

Also the backtracking wasn't that big of a deal when I played it, I think it gets a lot of attention because that's the biggest problem of the game. They also seemed to have fixed it with a new pipe system!

Novamii wrote:

Easily my most anticipated game of the year

Agreed. I'd say it's my most anticipated game for Switch in general.

N00BiSH

I have to admit, I'm pretty excited for it too. I've been a little fatigued/underwhelmed with the number of remakes/remasters/re-whatevers that have been coming out over the last few years. Most recently the Mario RPG/VS. DK remakes being two notable low points for me. Felt like they were doing the bare minimum.

I don't feel that with the TTYD remake. From what's been shown, it really seems like the team has made an effort to modernize the game without losing the qualities of the original. I was relieved when that first trailer showed the new art direction, preserving what the made the OG art look good while enhancing it with the techniques they picked up from the modern titles and that's an approach I've continued to see in motion with every new bit of gameplay shown, which is great!

It's still possible that I might not like the remake; I'm probably still going to prefer the original TTYD, but for now, this remake has a lot that's working for me and seems like a decent and worthy alternative.

I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle

PikminMarioKirby

@N00BiSH Very good take. Personally I love remakes/remasters/ports because I tend to like Nintendo's older games better than their new stuff. Yeah Nintendo does have quite a bit of good new stuff, but I just prefer their previous games (especially from N64/GameCube), but I do understand that there has been a lot of these in recent years.

Yeah TTYD seems to be going all-out. I never would've expected new battle themes, character themes, and other new songs. The art approach takes the best of TTYD and TOK and expands upon it even more, and its absolutely stunning. The galleries and slight new changes also make a positive impact on the game, and I'm here for it.
A remake of this game seemed out of the question, never mind one this all-out. But that is what we're getting, and I couldn't be more excited!

Uncle_Franklin

Been playing through Paper Mario 64.

Is Thousand Year Door the Majora's Mask to 64's Ocarina of Time?

TYD from what I remember goes pretty off the wall, whereas 64 I would view as the definitive Mario RPG story wise. Right off the bat Rogueport very much subverts the notion of a Toadtown like hub world. And the villains are out of this world! Sorry.

Uncle_Franklin

PikminMarioKirby

@Uncle_Franklin Actually, I kind of see what you mean.
PM64 takes some steps out of Mario's comfort zone, however TTYD is several miles outside of Mario series comfort zone. Majora's mask also takes the Zelda series away from it's comfort zone (Ganon and Zelda not really connected, not in hyrule, etc.) and both ended up working very well.

Croctopus

Paper Mario 64 has been my favorite Mario RPG for the longest time, but that's been mostly personal nostalgia. This remake might make me reconsider. I find the first game's blocky N64 visuals oddly appealing, the game's pace is near perfect, and the writing is top notch, but the story is still the usual Mario vs. Bowser. TTYD just takes everything the original did and expands it on an epic scale with lots more original characters, but with an imperfect pace. I enjoyed the original Thousand-Year Door very much, but have always put 64 SLIGHTLY higher. Now with these QOL changes, I won't be surprised if the remake becomes my fav.

The music is what I'm actually looking forward to most. I'm hyped for the overhauled soundtrack! If I love Mario RPG's redone tracks, this one's will be amazing, and with brand-new tracks on top of that. I don't want to spoil any tracks on YouTube, so I'm looking forward to the classic Rogueport theme the most. I also can't wait to hear the new Petal Meadows, all of the Hooktail music, the chapter 3 boss theme, X-Naut Fortress, and how much more disturbing the final boss themes will be now!

Whirling Deep Cut Fan
Team Bucket List: Die for Frye

Switch Friend Code: SW-6880-0040-8826 | Twitter:

ThatZeldaNerd

Just pre ordered the game! Really hyped so that will be fun.

"I don't live for the world I live for the King" ~ NF

CaleBoi25 is PEAK

Switch Friend Code: SW-5348-4240-7813 | My Nintendo: ZeldaNerd

Novamii

@Uncle_Franklin That's honestly along the lines of how I'd describe it as well. (From what I've seen.) Games like OOT & PM64 set the foundation. They introduce the series mechanics and general structure. The sequels then take the established rules and structure and turn them up from 10 to 100. PM64 has a typical, friendly Toad Town, TTYD thrusts you into a place that feels like you shouldn't be there. OOT has more of a focus on the big picture and sets your sights on defeating Ganon. Majora, however, insists that in order to face the greater danger you'll need to shift your perspective to the individual people rather than the world at large. This, in turn, instills a sense of dread knowing that despite your efforts, a feeling of inevitable death and despair permeates the air. No matter how many people you try to help, there's never enough time to help them all. And rather than fighting your typical 'lord of evil' archetype, Majora is basically a kid on a sugar-rush given godlike powers. It's bizarre, intimidating and off-putting, but I find those types of games sticking in my brain far longer. I'm not too big on sequels that just do the same thing again because that's what works, make 'em weird! It's far riskier doing that, as it's kind of a gamble if it resonates with people or just alienates them. But when it works, they often end up becoming the fan favorites. It's not every day you see Mario in weird settings like this, especially nowadays, so it's neat to see one of those genuinely bizarre Mario adventures make a return.

Edited on by Novamii

Idealism and realism are only a few letters apart, it's a fine line between the two. One must be careful not
to step too far on one end, as it could very easily throw the other off balance.

My Current Games: (Taking a break and leaving my gamer dungeon before TTYD.)

PikminMarioKirby

@Croctopus I love both games tbh. PM64 is my 4th favorite game of all time, while TTYD is (currently) in a 3-way tie in 1st, so they are both close to me.

Absolutely cannot wait to hear not only the new versions of the OG tracks, but also all of the brand new music as well. I’m sure on repeat play throughs I will use the OG soundtrack as well.

@ThatZeldaNerd That’s awesome! Will this be your first time playing the game?

Uncle_Franklin

I'm equipping the GameCube badge as soon as I can.

Uncle_Franklin

PikminMarioKirby

@Uncle_Franklin Personally I love the OG soundtrack, but the remixes are all awesome as well. I want to use the new soundtrack on my first playthrough, but will definitely be using the GameCube badge sometimes, especially during repeat playthroughs.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic